Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Makeup Show Chicago 2012: Building on my Career!

Hey Divas,


This year TMS Chicago was short for me but still sweet.  I was tired from working both jobs the days before but knew this was an opportunity I was not going to miss.  I drove down with some other wonderful artist from the Detroit area and we arrived in time so that our wait in line was short.  My first stop was Makeup Forever.  Last year I missed out on purchasing some empty flash palettes, and other items even though I was there when the show opened.  This year that was not going to happen again(lol). 




I stood in line for about 15 minutes and was able to get everything above that I needed for my kit.  This year I picked up the "The Flash Palette"(HG product), 3 empty Flash Palettes, 2 Magnetized Metal Pans and 2 Empty Stackable Cases.  I wanted the Lip Line Perfector but that was already sold out. :~(  My goal was to get what I needed only and I think I did pretty good. :) 


Next stop, Bdellium Tools for some of their amazing brushes that I love.  Daniel was there with his winning smile and I purchased 5 brushes.  I picked up 3(714) Flat Liner brushes and 2(708) Bent Eyeliner brushes. 
  

Tools and Trends with James Vincent for Crown Brush was the first seminar I went to.  James Vincent spoke on having multiple purposes for your brushes, such as using a bent eyeliner brush to create a clean line for the lip.  He also stated that if you have your brushes you can do anything(don't lose them!).  When you are traveling it is best to keep them close just in case luggage is lost or delayed. Having the proper tools is important especially when you have an average of 28 minutes to get hair and makeup done. 

My next stop was the Inglot booth.  I decided to hold off on the matte neutral palettes I wanted and continued on to the Kevyn Aucoin Booth where I picked up two Sensual Skin Enhancers(#3 and #5).  Frends Beauty Supply was next door so I had I to check out the Stilazzi cases. They are definitely on my wish list.  I will be purchasing them later.  While there I had the wonderful opportunity to meet and reacquaint myself with artists I meet last year and online.


It was time to head back to the seminars, the main reason I was there.  AJ Crimson was speaking on a career in makeup and I was not missing what he had to say.  AJ has been in the business for over twelve years and just "up and did it".  He advised us we need to find a way to quit our current non makeup artist jobs, believe in yourself and never let the lack of money stop the dream!  He advised us to carve our niche, invest in ourselves and have a Vision Board.  If anyone was making excusing and not motivated to do more to advance their career as a makeup artist before his seminar, they definitely were motivated and left the excuses behind after listening to AJ Crimson!



 Stay tune for part 2....


XOXOX
BCB
    





  



1 comment:

  1. Great recap. Looking forward to Part 2. I missed TMS Chicago but I'll be at the one in Orlando in Nov. I purchased my 1st MUFE Flash palette at the Pro Road Show in Austin last yr. It's very versatile. I purchased my 1st Bdellium brushes last month at IMATS LA. Totally regret not getting more.

    ReplyDelete